Sunday 7 September 2014

August/Summer 2014 Favourites

Hi readers! I know it's been a long time since the last entry. Hope everyone is well and had a great past few months. I would like to start posting again and will begin with my August/Summer 2014 favorites!

1) Skin Care

REN Clean Skincare - Rosa Centifolia Hot Cloth Cleanser



This has been my only evening cleanser since I bought it in mid May 2014. The wash cloth it comes with gives the skin a good clean without feeling too rough. I bought this cleanser specifically for my trip to London, England. I had wanted a cleanser to give my face a thorough cleanse after a day's worth of sightseeing and using the underground train. If you are living in London or have visited London, you know how sooty the air could be. Using the underground train often could stain your exposed skin black at the end of the day (on days when I was using strappy sandals, my feet had black sooty stripes when I took the sandals off). As someone who loves a dewy supple finish on her face, I fear to even imagine the amount of soot and other stuff that would have easily attached onto my face by the end of the day! This cleanser has helped me maintained my skin throughout my visit in London and I have loved it soo much that I had continued using it for the rest of summer.


The wash cloth was still in good condition by the time I finish the product. As mentioned, I used this only in the evening. Applying 2 pumps to dry skin, massage the product in circular motion to gently remove dirt and makeup (I always recommend using a make-up remover first especially for any eye makeup and full coverage foundation. I do this step regardless of the cleanser I use). Then wet the cleansing cloth with warm water (I often use very warm, almost hot water), squeeze any extra water out, and lay the cloth flat out to cover the entire face. Leave it for 15 seconds (longer if you have the time and patience). The heat will open your facial pores. Next, use the cloth to wipe off the cleanser along with all the dirt. Lastly, rinse your face with cold water to close back the pores. 

Thorough cleansing without drying the skin - definitely a keeper in my book of summer cleansers!

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream

This cream is a life-changing product for me. I honestly think I have found the best cream thus far for my dry, eczema-skin. Like any new product I was trying, I was initially very very skeptical. So glad I gave this cream a try. Great moisturizing property, no harsh chemicals, and I do believe it aids with repairing and building a protective barrier on the skin. On applying, it gets absorbed easily and leaves a comfortable layer on top - not greasy but you could definitely feel a slightly slippery consistency - if that makes sense?


This is an all-over body cream. I use this cream on my hands after each wash and on my face at night as a night cream. Love how my face feel in the morning. I don't use it on my face in the day as I prefer something lighter to apply underneath my sunblock. (Just purchased the lighter lotion version of this product which may work better for me as a daytime moisturizer).

Note: Product contains colloidal oatmeal. Avoid if you are known to react to this ingredient.     

2) Make-up

Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray

For the month of August (or really this past whole summer), nothing particularly jumps out to me in the make-up department. I am however loving the Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray. This is yet another purchase I had made just for the London trip. I don't really set my concealer/tinted moisturizer/foundation and what-have-you since I prefer a dewy finish and using powder (no matter how light and finely milled they are) always leaves my skin cakey and flaky. So I start looking into setting spray instead and went first for the Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray.


Happy to report that I did not need to look at other setting spray product. Works like a charm on my skin. Keeps my skin looking fresh for longer and maintain the dewy-ness I love. Even with only sunblock on, I will still spray some over my skin just to lock everything in.

3) Hair Care

TRESemmé Split-Remedy Sealing Serum
 
One issue I've had for a while with my hair is split ends. I try to get them trimmed every now and then but often not long after a trim I see split-ends again.
"Glue" for split-ends!
                                          
"Reduces up to 80% of split ends after 3 uses". This hair serum from TRESemmé has definitely reduced the amount of split ends I have. The texture is seriously non-greasy, non sticky - many hair products I have tried claim to be non-greasy and non-sticky but they really are! I apply 2 pumps onto my palm and work it through my damp hair 3/4 of the length to the ends. Blow dry or air dry after.


4) Clothing/Footwear 

Michael by Michael Kors Fulton Moc Flats  


I have been gravitating to this pair of flats from Michael Kors a lot this summer. Bought them in 2010 and honestly they were never really very comfortable at first. I almost gave them away but glad I did not because over the years, the leather had softened and molded themselves to the shape of my feet. Now they are one of the most comfortable pair of flats I own!

5) Random

Psycho-Pass


If you enjoy watching anime and love a thriller, give Psycho-Pass a shot.

     "In a futuristic world where criminal intent is analyzed by the Sybil System, a new top of the class recruit, Akane Tsunemori, joins the police force; however, she always puts her own sense of justice above the judgment of Sybil. Police are helped by Enforcers (latent criminals disposed to high criminal intent), one of which is a former inspector who supports Akane's method of action." (from IMDb)

I thoroughly enjoyed the first season. Some scenarios got my hair standing with their stomach-churning plot. There are definitely layers as you go through the episodes. Watched them all on Netflix.

Thank you for reading till the end! Can't believe summer is coming to an end. It has been barely a full summer here in Ottawa this year. Regardless, I hope that you have had a wonderful past few months!

Reminder: Product that works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. =)   

No comments:

Post a Comment