Wednesday 15 January 2014

NARS Brow Gel vs. Bobbi Brown Natural Brow Shaper






Happy New Year!!
Yes, I know. We are 2 weeks into 2014 and here I am still wishing all my readers a happy new year. Hope you all had an awesome New Year's and those who celebrate Christmas, hope it was a jolly one! ^_^ I apologize for the period of inactivity...

As I have mentioned in my past post, I am very particular about having my brows done. I could (and do) walk out of the house without having anything done on my face EXCEPT for sunblock application AND groomed eyebrows. In particular, I LOVE bold, distinct eyebrows. They frame my round face and give it some structure (or so I think ^_^).

For the past 3 years, I have been faithful to Bobbi Brown's Natural Brow Shaper. Mahogany (the darkest shade available) is my go-to shade and I had also tried Rich Brown on days I want lighter but still bold brows. Prior to this, I was using Benefit's Brow Zings Brow Shaping Kit. I switched and stayed with the Natural Brow Shaper just because I find it simpler and quicker to use. (click here for a comparison review on both the Natural Brow Shaper and the Brow Zings Brow Shaping Kit)

Recently, NARS came out with their own version of the brow gel/mascara. I was excited! Do note that I was 100% happy with the Bobbi Brown's Natural Brow Shaper and there was no reason at all to look out for another brow gel/mascara. However, NARS IS one of my favorite high-end skincare and make-up brands that I could NOT resist trying their Brow Gel... And I am glad I did!





Packaging:

NARS' packaging is simple, clean and modern. As with most of their make-up containers, the Brow Gel tube also has a matted, rubber feel to it - similar to some mobilephone cases, if that makes sense.





Product:

The gel consistency is similar to that of the Natural Brow Shaper. I bought the Nars Brow Gel in the shade Kinshasa (named after the capital city of Congo). Nars are also know for their cute, exotic, or expressive names for their make-up shades. Kinshasa is very close to the Mahogany color that I love from Bobbi Brown.




Shades comparisons between the 2 Bobbi Brown (bb) brow gels I own and Nars' Kinshasa.
So far, both the consistency and shade are to my liking and both criteria were already fulfilled by the Natural Brow Shaper from Bobbi Brown. So what is it about the Nars Brown Gel that, personally, gives it an edge above the Natural Brow Shaper? Its applicator!

Application:


Top: Nars Brow Gel.
Bottom: Bobbi Brown Natural Brow Shaper.
As you can appreciate from the picture above, the brush head of Nars Brow Gel is slimmer compared to the Natural Brow Shaper from Bobbi Brown. This is the reason why I will be using Nars Brow Gel from now on. The slimmer brush gives you more control and precision, especially on the outer thinner ends of your eyebrows. ^_^ Both products are buildable to your preferred intensity. 

Staying power:

This product pretty much stay on your eyebrows until you wash them off. I once took a nap with it and woke up with intact nice eyebrows. ^_^  Does it stay on longer than the Bobbi Brown's Natural Brow Shaper? No. Both dries up nicely and stay put though out the day (unless you scratch an itchy eyebrow!) I never find myself re-doing my eyebrows through the day with either products.




Value:

Bobbi Brown Natural Brow Shaper 4.2ml/0.14oz
Nars Brow Gel 7ml/0.21oz
Both products retail for CAD25.00 (before taxes) in Canada.
With my daily usage, on average, one tube of Bobbi Brown Natural Brow Shaper lasts 4 months. I am still on my first tube of the Nars Brow Gel and would expect it to last at least if not longer than 4 months since it has more product. We shall see. ^_^




The Nars Brow Gel is available at Nars counters at The Bay or The Bay online in Canada.
For my Malaysian readers, Nars is now available at Pavilion KL! Yeay!

Reminder: Product that works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. =)

1 comment:

  1. hi was just seeing if you minded a comment. i like your website and the thme you picked is super. I will be back. eye brow shaper

    ReplyDelete