Sunday 1 September 2013

Back To Basics: Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion & Vaseline Intensive Rescue Extra Strength Lotion

Hi all! Its been a while since my last post. I have been busy moving! Oh the joy of moving.... It is tedious to move within the same city, what more to a different country.

Moving from the tropics to a 4-season environment definitely affects the products I use. The drier climate in Canada requires me to search for a more hydrating range of products. That being said, there are a couple of basic products which I found very helpful to me in both Malaysia and Canada. I think it is only fitting that I start with my thoughts on those 2 products. =)

Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

Canadian packaging

This lotion has been my staple facial moisturizer for almost 7 years now. It all started back in 2006 when I was first in Canada and was desperately searching for a moisturizer that works. I have tried almost every brand in my local drugstore (it was London Drugs back then when I was living in Calgary, Alberta) and eventually gave Cetaphil a try. I recall how happy I was with the hydration level of my skin with this lotion. I was surprise that the Lotion provided enough hydration for the skin on my face that I need not try the Cream version.

White, non-greasy lotion with lockable pump


The version sold in Malaysia

On top of using it as a moisturizer, I often use this Lotion as a "toner". After washing my face, I will barely pat it dry so that my face is still damp. I will then apply some of this Lotion on and leave it for about 30 seconds. Using a facial cotton pad, I will wipe the Lotion off clean. This removes any dry, flaky skin on the face and leaving it smooth for make up application after. I find it gentle enough to use around the eyes as well as on the eyelids. (Definitely one of the mildest "toner" I've used. ^_^)

Vaseline Intensive Rescue Extra Strength Lotion with Stratys-3

The Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion is a great facial moisturizer. Unfortunately, it did not work well for me as a body moisturizer. This makes sense of course since the skin layers are of different thickness at different parts of our body. Generally, the skin on the face is thinner (Hence certain medicated creams or ointments are not suitable for the face, or only safe to use on the face at a lower dose). My search for the 'best' body lotion was not as lengthy. Even though my eczema largely only affects my hands and my feet, I know that the 'plain-er' the lotion the better, i.e. no artificial colorant, no artificial fragrance, and no added vitamins or minerals. (One important note to know is that many individuals with atopy, that is those who have higher predisposition in developing an allergy reaction when exposed to certain elements, are in fact allergic to topical Vitamin E. This is ironic as a lot of skin products out there do in fact contain Vitamin E).


Vaseline Intensive Rescue Extra Strength Lotion fits the body lotion profile I want. There are currently 2 types available in Canada - Unfragranced and Fragranced with Chamomile. Undoubtedly, I chose the Unfragranced version. The lotion claims to "relieves very dry skin in 1 use and helps dry skin heal in 3 days." My skin definitely feels adequately moisturized but I cannot say that it 'heals' the dryness as I have to reapply daily. That being said, I am content with this moisturizer. The ingredients does include Paraben and Cetyl Alcohol, but I assume that their percentages are minimal as I do not feel my skin being dryer than it was before I started using this product. (As a general rule, products with Paraben and Alcohol tend to be drying especially for those with eczema. I have been using this lotion before being aware of product ingredients. I have attempted to replace this lotion with others that were made without Paraben and Alcohol and nothing so far has come close to giving me the moisture level I have achieved with this Vaseline Intensive Rescue Extra Strength Lotion).

White, non-greasy lotion with non-lockable pump. Be careful with packing this in your luggage. You might end up with lotion covered clothes! 

So those are the 2 products I have successfully used, and continue using as part of my moisturizing and eczema care both in Malaysia and Canada. (Yes, my skin needs body lotion even in a humid place like Malaysia. I guess it is also due to the fact that I do spend a lot of time in air-conditioned environments).

NB: The Vaseline Intensive Rescue Extra Strength Lotion packaging is standard with a pump for the 600mL. Unfortunately it is not lockable so there is a risk of the lotion pumping out onto your clothes when packed. The 500 mL Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion does come in a lockable pump. ^_^

I hope this was helpful! Both Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion & Vaseline Intensive Rescue Extra Strength Lotion are available in Walmart and Shoppers Drug Mart across Canada, and in Watson, Caring and Guardian across Malaysia.

Reminder: Product that works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. =)         

No comments:

Post a Comment